Small acts of rebellion:
- Share your story, find support and spread awareness
- Start your own blog
- Speak publically
- AfterSilence Forum
- VolunteerMatch – A wide variety of volunteer opportunities
More involved activism:
- Write/call/contact your government representatives and legislators
Who to call: Your Representatives and your Senators. Find your legislator’s phone number by entering your address.
What to say: Hi, my name is [NAME] and I’m your constituent from [LOCATION]. I’m calling on behalf of all victims of rape and sexual assault. Victims of sexual assault deserve the same protection from perpetrators as other victims of crime. It’s time to pass a Sexual Assault Protection Order bill that protects victims of rape and sexual assault from perpetrators in the same way other victims of crime are protected. I ask that you make passing this bill one of your top priorities. Please let me know how you plan to vote. I can be reached at [YOUR PHONE NUMBER].
- CourtWatch (King County, WA) – Monitors sexual assault and child abuse cases and holds the justice system responsible
- CourtWatch programs exist nationwide, search for one in your area
- If no such program exists locally, contact your local representatives with a persuasive argument on why one should exist
- A Guide to Court Watching in Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Cases
- File a formal complaint with the police department if you feel justice was not served
- Protest in public, online and anywhere you can